Re: Webcam in potato (stable)

On (09/03/01 21:06), Keith Johnson wrote:
> I have a cpia compatible webcam connected to my parallel port and I
> have downloaded webcam from stable.
>
> Problem is, it does not work, and I don't know where to even begin
> sorting it out.
>
> Running the webcam program results in the following:
>
> keith@raphael:~$ sudo webcam
> video4linux webcam v1.1 - (c) 1998,99 Gerd Knorr
> grabber config: size 320x240, jpeg quality 75
> ftp config:
>   webcam@www:public_html/images
>   uploading.jpeg => webcam.jpeg
> ioctl VIDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument

The problem is that in potato, webcam's arguments are all
hardcoded. You need to download the source, edit it appropriately, and
dance widdershins three times around your camera.

Even then it only almost worked for me. Use the unstable version; you
get to have a .webcamrc

I got so annoyed at this that I went back to using my fiance's perl
script, which uses vidcat to grab an image and then checks size and
ftps it to the appropriate place. OK, so it only updates at 30 second
intervals. That's because I have limited bandwidth.

Ailbhe

--
Homepage: http://ailbhe.ossifrage.net/