Re: [OT] AMD Athlon fan

The Athelon cpu runs very hot. I had one on an Asus MB that toasted the whole shooting match cause the fan (came with the cpu in OEM packaging) broke off the socket and melted down the cpu. I have since taken to installing monster fans and heat sinks. That works fine. When in doubt, throw it out. Get the best fan you can. I also cool the box with two additional vent fans.
Best of luck.
P.S. AMD sent out replacement (took two weeks) at no charge. The main board was also replaced, but it took quite a bit of convincing and finger pointing to get it done. (threats from NJ Attorney General's Office became necessary)

jh wrote:

Hello all. I am setting up an AMD Athlon box and have a question about the cpu fan. There is no brand name info on the fan box but the unit itself says it is an ARX. My question concerns how the heatsink side mounts to the processor. There seems to be white paper on that side that is really stuck down. I thought there was some kind of adhesive under it. I have torn it away in a small area revealing a white undersurface. Also there is none of that heat gel that is sometimes included with a new fan. There is no documentation accept what little mechanical installation info is printed on the box. I want to install everything right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. -Jeff H

--
Perrussel"s Law;
There is no job so simple that it cannot be done wrong.