Re: GLUG: IMAP server recommendations ?

On Wed 2001-04-04 (10:41), Eugene van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any recommendations for a IMAP server (on Debian 2.2)? IMAP4.7c (I
> think this is UW IMAP?) seems to intergrates relatively painless and
> support most IMAP features (although I couldn't find anything on
> shared folders), courier-imap seems technically better(?) but
> confusing to set up especially making use of extended features like
> its altered maildir standard for shared folders, I can't seem to
> figure out what else this might break when using this? Also it's not
> very clear with courier where exactly the mail folders are going to be
> stored, /var/spool/mail or $HOME/?  UW-IMAP indicates that folders are
> stored in $HOME/ and it automatically picks up mail from
> /var/spool/mail as well as $HOME/mbox, this doesn't indicate whether
> these mail are then transported to an imap folder or left there (btw
> this is makes me lean toward it for easier integration).

UW IMAP has had a bad security run.  It doesn't have much in the way of
flexibility; it requires you to change the way you run things.

> Then there's cyrus(cyris ?) imap as well. Couldn't really make much
> from its docs though.

Cyrus is the better mature IMAP server.

> If someone that's running an imap server could give me some advice on
> what/how to install and set up partitions for storage, and in general
> which package gives the least headaces configuring. I also need to
> supply webmail access so would welcome any recommendations.

I'd recommand Courier-IMAP; it's almost free (GPL), it's fast, and it's
modular and flexible.  It can integrate into almost any situation, and
can do IP-based virtual hosting, or username-based virtual hosting, and
lots more.  It's also designed in such a way that security problems are
less likely - on one setup, only the port connector (tcpserver from
ucspi-tcp) ran as root.

It interacts with at least phpgroupware (a nice product, actually - cd
/usr/ports/*/phpgroupware && make install, and access from
http://localhost/phpgroupware/ on your nearest FreeBSD machine), and
also has it's own direct-access webmail client, sqwebmail, which shares
authentication and such modules with courier-imap.  They're both part of
the Courier Mail System.

> Also, is running POP3 and IMAP simultaneously possible/a big no-no?
> What caveats/issues are there?

I think all have POP3 connectors - Courier-IMAP definitely does.  It
also supports STARTTLS and IMAPS and POP3S service.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@smartspace.co.za