VMware

A few days ago we made the switch from Mandrake, which we felt was pretty but too flaky , to Progeny/Debian.  As with Mandrake the initial installation went quite quickly and easily and we had our homeLan and ADSL connections humming with surprising ease.  When we came to installing VMware however, (which was very easy in Mandrake)  it proved much more difficult.  The RPM we tried first was troublesome even when converted by alien so we tried the tar.  This installed quickly and without too much trouble until VMware tried to find a suitable vmmon module for our running kernel.  VMware said that none of its prebuilt modules is suitable for our running kernel.  When it tried to build a new vmmon module for our kernel from scratch it ran into trouble "finding the C header files that match your running kernel"
finally it said:

"The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.0) does not match your running kernel (version 2.2.18)  Consequently even if the compilation of the module was successful, the module would load into the running kernel."

Can anyone figure out why VMware thinks we have pieces of 2.4 in our brand new clean 2.2.18 installation?

Thanks
Hans Elfert