Re: Sys Admin

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 08:49:42PM -0700, Anthony @ PencilFight Design wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am looking into becoming a Unix System Administrator. I know a few that
> all learned basically "on the job". I'm wondering if there is any one who
> knows of a good way to start. Online classes?  I've heard of the Red Book
> and of course the O-Reilly books but was wondering if there was any classes
> any one has heard about.
>
> Thanks for your help.

learn by doing, first:

1) don't use Outlook
2) don't use pico
3) don't use GUI config tools

use the system you are attempting to learn, and truely learn it, don't
rely on silly tools that try and do everything for you hiding how
things work.  read books (hardcore books, not this half assed newbie
crap), read man pages, try things, setup a home network.  spend a few
years on it.

expect to take a couple years to really get good at things.

one of the first things you should learn is how to install security
updates, and how to monitor security lists and how to configure things
securely.  the internet is mostly 0wn3d because of lame `admins' [0]
who don't know how to install a security update to save thier life.

[0] i would rather not call them admins, as `morons with root
password' is far more appropriate.  knowing root password != sysadmin

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/