Re: kernel-compiling, when should components be compiled as modules?

Hi Bryan,

	The main advantage is the when you compile something as a module it does not
take up any memory unless it gets loaded by the kernel. If you compile
something into the kernel then it gets loaded into memory as part of the
kernel since it is part of the kernel. For instance, you could have 15 things
as modules and when you boot into linux only five of them are loaded because
they are needed. The other 10 wait until you need them. If you load up a vfat
module, it then takes up some memory. If you never call upon the vfat module,
that much less memory is taken up by kernel code. A smaller kernel memory
footprint if you will, is the advantage. Some kernel modules/drivers may take
up some resources other than just memory too.

Hope that helps explain it a little,

Jimmy Richards