kernel-compiling, when should components be compiled as modules?

I am sure that there are many different ideas on this topic, and would like
to here people's thoughts.  When compiling kernels, I can compile many
things into the kernel.  But I often have the option to compile many things
as a module.
	What are the pros and cons of compiling things as modules?  Should I
stay away from that?  Should I always compile as a module if the option is
available?  Ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton

--
Bryan K. Walton                        Network Operations Center Analyst
Berbee...putting the E in business	          http://www.berbee.com/