Re: Mail & News Reader

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001, Axel Schlicht wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Sorry for using high priority, but for me the matter is very urgent.
>
> I hope this question has not been asked ad nauseam before, if yes,
> please except my apology and direct me to the place this list's storage
> area.
>
> So far I have been using a Windows 3.x based newsreader (OUI) but it has
> a tendency to keep crashing way too often with disastrous results like
> deleting ALL postings saved so far.
> As I urgently need those newsgroups I have to switch as fast as
> possible.
>
> With a new ISDN card installed I can now - finally - switch over to
> Linux for email and news retrieval.
>
> I need a program / programs able to to the following:
> - retrieve email / newsgroups automatically or (definitely preferred)
> whenever I fell like retrieving them.
> - consecutively contact serveral mail servers and news servers, some of
> them requiring autentification.
> - sort incoming e-mail (and , hopefully) usenet news into several
> directories according to the mailing list / sublist they came from,
> sender or any other ciriterion.
> - keep Japanese, Korean and other asian emails on the respective server
> as I don't know how to read AND answer them using Linux. If anybody
> knows a solution to this, please share it with me.
>
> I do not want to use netscape or any other monster with severely limited
> abilities.
>
> As far as I know I should have the following to receive and send emails
> and participate in usenet newsgroups:
> - ISDN for Linux
> - a mail retrieval program : fetchmail ?
> - a mail transport agent (MTA) : procmail ? exim ?
> - a mail reader : tin, mutt ?
> - a news reader ?

Hi,

I'll try to help :) ... First of all, procmail is not an MTA.  It's a
means of sorting your incoming mail based upon rules sets for later
retrieval by your Mail User Agents (MUA): I'd suggest Mutt for that
(others use pine, elm, etc.).  Also, tin is not a mail reader, its a
news reader (and you might want to choose it).  Other people enjoy
using different modules of emacs to both read mail and get news.  So,
bottom line, exim, mutt, tin should be able to solve your
problems. But, YMMV...

HTH and take care,

Daniel