Re: apt-get remove -- ODD dependencies

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 12:55:34AM -0600, will trillich wrote:

> to reiterate:
>
> 	% apt-get remove exim
> 	The following packages will be REMOVED:
> 	  at exim logrotate mailagent mailx mutt
>
> huh?
>
> I can understand exim using on logrotate, and that mutt or mailagent
> would be useful for a system carrying exim functionality, but sheesh!
> Surely it's possible to use MUTT on a non-exim system?  Should we
> expect AT to be useless without EXIM? Holy mackerel!

all these packages depend on `mail-transport-agent'  since they send
mail as integral part of thier function.  they do not depend on exim,
exim provides `mail-transport-agent' as does postfix, sendmail and
whatever other MTAs are packaged for debian.

instead of apt-get remove exim, try apt-get install postfix.  it both
conflicts and provides mail-transport-agent, so exim will be removed
and postfix installed in one step.  the above packages will not be
removed or otherwise affected.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/