Re: Compiling question

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001, Dave Linsalata wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> I recently installed Debian on my computer, and I'm trying to set up my
> ethernet card.  It's a 3com 3c905B card.  After some searching, I found a
> linux driver on 3com's website.  Unfortunately, it was compiled for an older
> kernel, so I had to recompile.  This was what I was supposed to type:

Hi,

Fortunately, it's much easier than this.  For the 3c905b card, you
don't need to get any extra drivers or recompile your kernel or
anything else.  During installation, when you're asked what modules to
make available to the kernel simply select 3c59x.  I know, I know,
it's a confusing choice of names, but actually the line of 3com 3c905
('a' and 'b') cards use the vortex driver (3c59x).  The 3c905c card is
much more difficulate to configure, but that shouldn't involve you, as
you have the 'b'.

Here's one of my computers using the 3c905b, showing the appropriate
driver:

root@falcon:~# /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
serial                 19640   0 (autoclean)
3c59x                  18480   1
vfat                    9408   0 (unused)
unix                   11336  11 (autoclean)

So, bottom line, it's really pretty easy and you should NOT have to do
anything with kernel compiling.

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel