Re: Compiling question

Dave,

Short answer, I've never done this before (Debian just almost always
seems to work for me).  But I'm pretty sure how to...

First, I should say, that in the worst case scenario, since you've
just installed the system, it probably won't be that much of a loss to
reinstall completely (and this might prove easiest).  I can usually
install a new Debian system in under a half hour of manual work,
before it goes off to do its own thing.

However, I think the answer to your situation can probably be found in
'dpkg-reconfigure <packagename>' (good tool to know in general).  This
command prompts you for initial installation question of the relevant
package (from debconf database).  It's very nicely done.  The only
question then is, is what package this very low-level question (3c59x
installation) belongs to.  I'm fairly certain you'll find success with
'base-config'.  It's description ('dpkg -p base-config') says:

freedman@warthog:~$ dpkg -p base-config
Package: base-config
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 229
Maintainer: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.33.2
Replaces: debconf (<< 0.2.79), debconf-tiny (<< 0.2.79)
Depends: debconf, apt
Suggests: tasksel
Conflicts: debconf (<< 0.2.79), debconf-tiny (<< 0.2.79), tasksel (<< 1.0-7)
Filename: dists/potato/main/binary-i386/admin/base-config_0.33.2.deb
Size: 76150
MD5sum: 2c87e2d85c3116bb3bceb797d1c0615a
 This package handles setting up the Debian base system. It contains the
 questions you see when you install Debian for the first time and boot up
 your new Debian system.
 .
 It can be removed with no ill effects -- now that your Debian system is
 installed, this package's only useful function is to allow you to
 reconfigure some of the things it asked you about earlier.

It's these types of tools, BTW, that make me love Debian (just for
future knowledge you probably want to familiarize yourself with
'dpkg -p <package>', and of course 'apt-get install <package>').

Hope this helps,

Daniel