Re: Setting defaults size for Xemacs,netscape windows

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 04:23:37PM -0500, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
>  Hi:
>
>    I don't seem to be able to find in any of the documentation
>    precisely where the applications get their geometry from. For
>    examply the size of the window for xemacs, netscape and so on.
>    There does not seem to be any mention of geometry in
>    /etc/X11/app-defaults files. I run olvwm with virtual desktops
>    but I would like to have the windows the size of the screen. I can
>    clearly fix these on the command line, but I would like to set a
>    default.

I'm guessing most of the programs have some built-in default.  Unless
I'm mistaken, Netscrape "remembers" the last size when it exits
(preferences.js is where it puts the info, I believe).  Apps may or may
not respond to something like "emacs.Geometry: 80x80+20+20" in a
resource file.  I believe you might want such settings in
/etc/X11/Xresources/ (for globals) or ~/.Xresources per user.  Don't
ever bother editing /etc/X11/app-defaults settings, they'll get
overwritten on the next upgrade (unless this behavior has changed?).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>