Re: Daemon mgmt was Re: turning off /sbin/portmap

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:57:54AM -0800, Alan Chen wrote:
> update-alternatives (or was it alternatives-update) is a admin tool for
> adding, removing daemons from various runlevels.

No, it is for managing Debian's alternatives sytem.  Like whether vim,
or vi or tiny-vi should be named vi.  Or whether gawk, or mawk is ment
when you type awk.

Links in /etc/init.d etc are best handled with update-rc.d

> To remove a daemon from starting at a given runlevel, i generally just
> delete the entry in the /etc/rcn.d directory.  Are there any reasons
> for not doing that? I wish the update-alternatives would accept syntax
> like "update-alternatives +3 postres" to add postgres to runlevel 3.

update-rc.d postres start 20 3 .

[[ not tested! does something like add link /etc/rc3.d/S20postres
   And mind you, update-rc.d wants to update all links at once,
   so you'll have to do a "update-rc.d -f postres remove" first
   and then specify all links for all levels (bummer he) ]]

--
groetjes, carel