Re: exim: daemon vs. inetd

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:44:50AM -0600, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> I was wondering if their were any security benefits/pitfalls exiting
> between running exim through inetd or running it as a standalone daemon.

I believe the only difference is that with daemon mode you're trading
memory for startup overhead, while with inetd mode your making the
opposite tradeoff.  I.e. if you're in daemon mode, exim doesn't need to
be started each time an smtp connection comes in (OK, it does, but it
doesn't need to go through its whole initialization process).  But the
cost of this is that it remains in memory even when it's not delivering
mail.

I think that if a lot of mail passes through your site, and you're
concerned about perfomance, then go with daemon mode.  Otherwise, just
run it from inetd.

noah