"activating" changes to /etc/group

I decided to take the more elegant approach to getting sound working than making /dev/dsp world writeable so I added my user to the audio group. This however didn't seem to work. I decided to worry about it later and recompiled my kernel with scsi support so I could use my CD-R. When I rebooted with the new image, sound was working Surely I don't have to reboot in order to make these group additions effective :-\ ... what am I missing here?

TIA