Re: apt-get update

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 08:41:27PM -0500, Bill White wrote:
> I never use dselect.  I only use apt and dpkg.  Or are dpkg and
> dselect essentially the same thing?  If so, do I need to use
> dselect to update the available packages, or is there a dpkg
> version.

As far as I know, apt and dselect are front-ends to dpkg.  As dselect
was a very advanged front-end it allowed all kinds of strategies and
helper programs to be plugged in.  One of those is apt-get.  Ofcourse
dselect needs to know of all the packages apt-get is seeing, and to
confuse us it doesn't ask that info from apt-get and friends but
expects us to tell it through its own special method.

So dpkg knows what's installed on your system, and knows whether
a new package fits in.

apt and dselect know about what's available too, and allow you to
install related packages easily.  But to install them they defer
actions to dpkg.  So no matter which one you use, dpkg's database
will be fine.

--
groetjes, carel