Re: Howto change default keymap

on Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:49:57AM +0200, Marcus Geiger (marcus@antbear.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 02:05:20PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:35:41PM +0200, Marcus Geiger (marcus@antbear.org) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > how do I change the default keymap. I want my system to keep the setting
> > > if reboot.
> > > install-keymap dvorak seems to me not enough.
> >
> > I've had to fight with this on several systems.
> >
> > In general, I create a custom keymap somewhere under /usr/share/keymaps.
> > Something like /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/<host>.kmap.gz.
> > I link this to /usr/share/keymaps/default.kmap.gz
> > I link this to /etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz
> >
> > I make sure the following /etc/rc?.d/ links exist (see update-rc.d docs
> > for info):
> >
> >     /etc/rc0.d/K20keymaps-lct.sh
> >     /etc/rc1.d/K20keymaps-lct.sh
> >     /etc/rc2.d/S20keymaps-lct.sh
> >     /etc/rc3.d/S20keymaps-lct.sh
> >     /etc/rc4.d/S20keymaps-lct.sh
> >     /etc/rc5.d/S20keymaps-lct.sh
> >     /etc/rc6.d/K20keymaps-lct.sh
> >     /etc/rcS.d/S05keymaps.sh
> >
> > ...my preferred keysettings are started at boot, and at each of
> > runlevels 2-5.  The 'stop' entries (0, 1, 6) don't actually do anything.

> Thanks a lot,
>
> I will give it a try.
> It seems not so easy (as it could be) to accomplish this.

I'd tend to differ.  I *haven't* set up the most straightforward
configuration.  I noted the /etc/rc?.d links largely as I'd had problems
with the configuration not firing off uniformly prior to this.

With an understanding of the SysV init process and symlinks, this is
actually (IMO) fairly straightforward.

Lemmee see, where'd I put that Kool-Aid....