RE: Pentium 4

Yesterday i've read that the next-gen AMD cpu will support FULL sse, the end
of PIV ?

Also, since there ARE Athlon optimized gcc compiler you might get a real
performance boost from recompiling. I don't know about 3DNOW support in
linux but it should also provide some substantial performance boost. Not
quite as much as SSE/SSE2 but still, 3DNOW!2 aint bad at all. Also take into
account that there it's not very likely you'll see any REAL world P4
optimized applications for year(s) to come and SSE might flop just like MMX
did in it's own way. Try to make a list of applications that REALLY support
MMX (not that much all together) The price for moderate P4 systems might
give you a REALLY nice Athlon/AMD system.

If you think about it that there's a 266Mhz/DDR platform around the corner
for AMD based systems you might want to hang on a little longer, SMP systems
coming as well. Taken these will surely surpass the P4 for the first year to
come. You also might want to take a GOOD look at this new platform and go
for a REAL AMD chipset (though more expensive) because it's faster then
VIA's implementation (they AMD/VIA are working on it). Still rather nice
though.

Like someone allready suggested, take a look at a hardware review site like
www.tomshardware.com www.aceshardware.com (major P4 review)
www.anandtech.com and many more.

Greets,

Joris