Re: home network

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 07:07:48PM -0500, D-Man scribbled...
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:46:18PM -0700, Jason Majors wrote:
> | Check out the net-3 howto.
>
> Ok, thanks.  linuxdoc.org I assume.
>
> | You'll want to get a hub. I believe that the difference between a
> | hub and switch is that (assuming both are 100Mbps), the hub can
> | allow a maximum of 100Mbps of traffic (so two machines trying to
> | transfer files from a server would get 50Mbps at most), and a switch
> | allows 100Mbps per connection. Switches are also more expensive.
> | Hubs are the better option for a typical low-traffic home setup.
>
> Staples has a netgear hub with 2 NICs on sale for $60 here.  I don't
> know for sure, but I think the NICs are FA311 (Natl Semi chipset,
> Donald Becker has a driver for it).  I checked with CompUSA's web site
> and found some LinkSys hubs and switches for about the same price (as
> each other).  Thanks (everyone) for the explanation of switch vs. hub.
> I'll get the cheaper one, though lean for the (better) switch.
How many ports? I'd suggest 2 or 3 plus the number of people who will be
using computers in your house. My four port is full from me my girfriend my
gateway/internet server, and file server.
Don't go to compUSA, they'll rip you off. If you go mail order go to
www.pricewatch.com and find it there. That's the best hardware price engine
I've seen.

> | For the hub, it probably won't matter what brand you get. There are
> | some that are better than others, but unless you care whether a
> | packet takes 3ms or 2.8ms to transfer, it won't matter much (I say
> | go for a low price).
>
> .2 ms difference?  Think I'll notice ;-).
That was just a hypothetical number. I really have no idea what the difference
is. But you'll only really notice it when you do huge data transfers.

> Does anyone have some ISA NICs they don't want/need anymore?  2 of the
> machines are older and only have ISA slots.  I started to skim the
> Diskless how-to and it seems that I would have to flash the PROMs to
> make the machines truly diskless xterminals.  Is hard or dangerous?
> Would it be easier (or even possible) to use a floppy (or cd if I get
> a burner; oh, yeah, one of the machines doesn't have a cdrom) to boot,
> then grab / from the network?
Check out pricewatch.com (do a search for "isa nic"). I think the ISA ones
are all 10Mbps, so make sure you get a dual-speed hub/switch. I suggest one
with the NE2000 chip. I've had quite a few ne2k based cards and know that the
Linux driver is excellent for it.