Re: home network

Check out the net-3 howto.
You'll want to get a hub. I believe that the difference between a hub and switch
is that (assuming both are 100Mbps), the hub can allow a maximum of 100Mbps of
traffic (so two machines trying to transfer files from a server would get 50Mbps
at most), and a switch allows 100Mbps per connection. Switches are also more
expensive. Hubs are the better option for a typical low-traffic home setup.

For the hub, it probably won't matter what brand you get. There are some that
are better than others, but unless you care whether a packet takes 3ms or 2.8ms
to transfer, it won't matter much (I say go for a low price).

For the NICs you'll want to make sure you get models that support Linux. I run
realteks and a 3Com 3c905-B (but I've heard of problems with the 905-C).

You could run a box with lots of ip masquerading to emulate a hub, but that's
like swatting flies with a hammer. Just get a hub. It's cheaper, uses less
power, and allows your boxes to see each other more easily.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 06:32:53PM -0500, D-Man scribbled...