Re: lm-sensors with kernel-package

Jan Ulrich Hasecke <juh@pironet.de> writes:

> I apt-got lm-sensors-source and lm-sensors.
>
> The sources are in /usr/src/modules
>
> My current kernel-source is /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.18pre21
>
> I do not want to patch my kernel but use it as a module. I've read
> that I may want to use kernel-package to install the modules.
>
> I altered the Makefile and set the right path to the kernel-source:
> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.18pre21
>
> Now what shall I do?
> Simply type
> make-kpkg -revision=X.X. modules_image
> and then
> dpkg -i ../modules.X.X.deb

That's about it. At least, what I did. Of course, if you change your
kernel you also have to do the modules_image, too. Oh, the make-kpkg
command works only, if you're in the kernel-source root-dir
(/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.18pre21 at your box).

Maybe make-kpkg will complain about the -revision parameter because
you already have a kernel-revision, which is also valid for the
modules, of course. Kernel and modules have to be the same revision.

One suggestion: I link the actual kernel-directory to linus:
`ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.18pre21 /usr/src/linux`

I'm not sure, if that's required.

> I have built my kernel with make-kpkg, which is a wonderful tool, but
> is this the right way to install lm-sensors? Do I have to compile a
> new kernel first?

Nope. Just the modules should work fine.

--
Tschoe,                    Get my gpg-public-key here
 Jens                     http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt