wtf: display is set to :3 but Xlib connects to :0

  when I use startx -- :2 everything works fine, X server starts, I can
start clients that connect to that server etc...

  however when I use the following command line:

  startx -- -depth 16 :3

  I get following error messages:

 jojda:/etc/X11# echo $DISPLAY
 :3
 jojda:/etc/X11# atlantis
 Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
 jojda:/etc/X11#

  however the atlantis runs on correct server, it's just that I get Xlib
error message.

  another symptom is that I get periodic messages on the screen where I
started X saysing the same (Xlib cannot connect to :0.0) and window
manager does not start, even though it starts fine when not specifying
-depth 16.

  the -depth 16 seems to be working fine, when I don't specify it I
don't get DRI (and 24 bpp) and when I specify it I get DRI (it says so,
I wasn't able to test it yet)

	erik