Re: 3dfx & openGL? what do I need? (kernel 2.4, X 4.x)

David Steinberg wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   how do I make this work? I have tdfx module (loade), libglide3 and
> > libglide3-dev (like debian planet suggests), X output says that DRI is
> > used etc... yet I get the message:
>
> You need to install the xlibmesa3 package and, optionally, xlibmesa-dev
> for development.
>
> All of those old mesag* and glide* packages are no longer needed either;
> you might as well get rid of them.

  thanks a lot. is this documented somewhere?

  <sort-of-rant on which packages to get>
  this problem is more general, there are some 'groups' of packages that
all provide same/similar functionality but it's not clear which ones
work together, netscape packages are similar (or at least were when I
was installing netscape).
  </sort-of-rant>

  I just installed xlibmesa3:

  btw it automatically gets rid of mesag3-glide2, I guess by now I can
remove glide2 as well...

  I jut installed xlibmesa3 and it didn't help, while installing it I
got bunch of following errors:

dpkg: mesag3-glide2: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
request:
 xbase-clients depends on libgl1; however:
  Package libgl1 is not installed.
  Package mesag3-glide2 which provides libgl1 is to be removed.

  I got these for all the packages (AFAIK, lot of them: xpp, libfltk1,
xscreensaver-gl, vreng, xlockmore-gl, kdebase etc...)

  how do I test it now? I got the following info from glxinfo:

jojda:/etc/X11# glxinfo -display :2
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
display: :2.0  screen:0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context

  it says direct rendering is suppoerted, how do I test it? I ran
atlantis and it did not complain (it ran in a window), how do I know
whether it uses 3d acceleration (opengl) or not? It runs quite fine on
-depth 24 (where DRI is not supported)... How do I run the opengl
application fullscreen? The old mesa used GLX_MESA_FX=fullscreen but it
does not seem to work anymore...

  btw what do the Xlib messages mean? why would it try to connect to
:0.0 server???

> Also, make sure that your kernel supports AGP (CONFIG_AGP is m or y; and

  I have PCI video card - does this mean that PCI cards don't work?

> Oh, and make sure that in the Section "Screen" that Depth is 16, since it
> won't work with 24 bit colour.

  I noticed that already. that's quite annoying - is this a temporary
limitation?

> Here is the relevant bit of output at startx:
>
> (0): [drm] created "tdfx" driver at busid "PCI:1:5:0"
> (0): [drm] added 4096 byte SAREA at 0xc511b000
> (0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xc511b000 to 0x40017000
> (0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xe4000000
> (0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
> (II) TDFX(0): [drm] Registers = 0xe0000000
> (II) TDFX(0): visual configs initialized
> (II) TDFX(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
>         Screen to screen bit blits
>         Solid filled rectangles
>         8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
>         Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
>         Solid Lines
>         Dashed Lines
>         Offscreen Pixmaps
>         Driver provided NonTEGlyphRenderer replacement
>         Setting up tile and stipple cache:
>                 8 128x128 slots
> (==) TDFX(0): Backing store disabled
> (==) TDFX(0): Silken mouse enabled