Re: 3dfx & openGL? what do I need? (kernel 2.4, X 4.x)

Hi Erik,

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   how do I make this work? I have tdfx module (loade), libglide3 and
> libglide3-dev (like debian planet suggests), X output says that DRI is
> used etc... yet I get the message:

You need to install the xlibmesa3 package and, optionally, xlibmesa-dev
for development.

All of those old mesag* and glide* packages are no longer needed either;
you might as well get rid of them.

Also, make sure that your kernel supports AGP (CONFIG_AGP is m or y; and
one of CONFIG_AGP_INTEL, CONFIG_AGP_I810, CONFIG_AGP_VIA, CONFIG_AGP_AMD,
CONFIG_AGP_SIS, CONFIG_AGP_ALI, according to your chipset, is
y).  Note: this part is for 2.2.18.  2.4.x might be different, thought I
haven't heard that to be the case.

In your XF86Config-4 file, you need:

Section "Module"
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Driver      "tdfx"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

[This gives all users access to DRI.  To restrict access to userss in the
xf86dri group, use the following, instead...]

Section "DRI"
    Group "xf86dri"
    Mode 0660
EndSection

Oh, and make sure that in the Section "Screen" that Depth is 16, since it
won't work with 24 bit colour.

Here is the relevant bit of output at startx:

(0): [drm] created "tdfx" driver at busid "PCI:1:5:0"
(0): [drm] added 4096 byte SAREA at 0xc511b000
(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xc511b000 to 0x40017000
(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xe4000000
(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] Registers = 0xe0000000
(II) TDFX(0): visual configs initialized
(II) TDFX(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
        Screen to screen bit blits
        Solid filled rectangles
        8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
        Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
        Solid Lines
        Dashed Lines
        Offscreen Pixmaps
        Driver provided NonTEGlyphRenderer replacement
        Setting up tile and stipple cache:
                8 128x128 slots
(==) TDFX(0): Backing store disabled
(==) TDFX(0): Silken mouse enabled
(0): X context handle = 0x00000001
(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) TDFX(0): direct rendering enabled

Good luck!  It's *really* nice when it works.

One problem I have had: the OpenGL screensavers produce nasty flicker.
When I just run the executibles, they don't.  Also, no problem with
Quake or TuxRacer.  Anyone else experiencd this?  Any idea why it might
be?

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \