Kernel panic after upgrade to 2.4.2

Thanks in advance for your help.
I decided to go to kernel 2.4.2 on my testing box. Did a apt-get
 install to get the source. Got my old config file from /boot
 and put it in the source and did a make oldconfig. I then did a
 make xconfig and made sure that I had ext2 support and elf and
 a.out all compiled in (along with the other options that I
 wanted) It compiled with no errors except it did complain
 about not being able to find /usr/src/modules but it went on from
 there (I assumed that was if I wanted a non standard module and
 ignored it) In any case I got my .deb (make-kpkg
 revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image was the command I used to make
 it) and did a dpkg -i it all ran well with no errors. I ran lilo
 a couple of times just to be sure. :) And did a reboot. And now I
 am getting a kernel panic saying can't mount the root device
 030:030 and to add a correct root paramater. I have the right
 root paramater in lilo.conf (root=/dev/hda3) and also tried
 passing it this by hand at the lilo prompt Linux root=/dev/hda3.
 I'm still getting the same error message. My old kernel still
 boots fine. So any ideas on how I managed to break it? Once again
 thanks very much.