Re: GLUG: Getting dselect to read .deb files without Packages,Release,etc files

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:16:07PM +0200, Eugene van Zyl wrote:

> How do I get dselect or another apt frontend tool read and use locally downloaded .deb files for which I'm unable (read apt-move, dpkg-scan-packages dosn't do it - I don't know how to get it to) to create the appropriate Packages & Release files and directory structure. apt-move doesn't like ftp.is.co.za 's dir structure and just generally seemed not to work. dpkg-scanpackages requires me to create a override file ... lots of manual work and faulty.
> Do I use some other tool ? and will it pick up and use the correct files for dependencies?

Grab .deb with your normal ftp client and then do a
dpkg --install package.deb

The frontends etc will not be able to  work without the
package list.

Mmm, dpkg-ftp might also help you -- but never tried it.

Craig Balfour <craig@chemeng.uct.ac.za>, Network Supervisor
Chemical Engineering, UCT, Private Bag, Rondebosch, 7701
Tel: +27 (0)21 6504438; Fax: +27 (0)21 6897579
GnuPG key available via finger craig@placebo.che.uct.ac.za