kernel 2.2.19 and module problems

I upgraded to kernel 2.2.19 by executing the command:
apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19-blah. This worked
fine. However, I recompiled the kernel because I
needed to enable scsi emulation so I could use my
cd-rw. The recompile(make menuconfig;make dep;make
clean;make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install)
went fine. modules.dep wasn't generated in the new
modules directory. "Can't open lib/../../modules.dep"
was the message I got on rebooting  How do I fix this?