RE: kernel question

This WON't be easy if you're systemdisk is really damaged.
It's pretty hard to explain this in an email because of the variety of
conditions, let us know if you're getting somewhere or feeling rather lost.

Did you allready boot into single user mode and run efsck2 ? Maybe you're
just experiencing some other problem than real-life disk damage. Your system
had a powerfailure and your filetables are messed up ... It boot's ? Take a
look at step one and two below. Start making backups NOW. then reinstall
your system, it's likely that it suffered a lot of damage.

Some scenario =

first of all : GET yourself some bootdisk/cd wich can be used to mount the
root filesystem
if that succeeded look for /boot and copy these contents to somewhere safe
(will restore other kernels also, might want to narrow down the selection a
bit)
if there IS no /boot t you'll probably have to mount it, make sure you know
wich is wich and go for a backup all the same

second : you could try to see if your /usr/src directory's are intact, if
you were smart enough to save your kernelconfig into a config file back up
this file and start to reinstall, this would be the most flexible way to go.
Do you remember if you did and where you left the config file ?

Doesn't boot ? : if your drive is really seriously damaged start reading up
on configuring SMP kernels, you'll HAVE to do it again with another disk.

Good Luck to you,

joris