Re: (OT) - Static electricity grounding device?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Roberto Diaz wrote:
> > > I really doubt very much that to connect your electric installation to
> > > your pipes installation is even legal.. ask an insurance company.
> > It's common practice around here.. The pipe going out of the house is an
> > excellent ground. However, if you do it wrong, or the pipe is the wrong
> > sort you can do all sorts of nasty things to yourself. I've never seen
> > this sort of connection done using solder, I doubt it wold work. There are
> > special press connectors that are generally used. Be sure to use green
> > wire :>
>
> I am living in a flat.. several years ago me and my neighbours noticed
> electric socks at bathroom.. a research shown it was due to a
> "wise" new neighbour who has been using his pipes to ground his domestic
> electric devices..
>
> It is much better to ask your electric company.. they are the only ones
> who realy can to know how to ground your home properly.

Sound advice.  The problem with the water-pipe ground is that your pipes
may not actually be grounded.  Many of the more modern systems have a
nonconducting union near the supply connection, specifically inserted to
break the circuit to ground.  (This is to prevent electrolytic corrosion
of water meters, pumps, and the like.)  Even if your water system doesn't
have one, it may not be well earthed, which could allow dangerous voltages
to be present at the taps.  Your supply connection, for example, may be
entirely plastic, even if you have copper or steel pipe in the house.  Or
the soil may be too dry for proper conduction.

A tested, dedicated electrical ground is the only way to be sure.

Make a good day.