Re: 3dfx & openGL? what do I need? (kernel 2.4, X 4.x)

Nate Amsden wrote:

> Erik Steffl wrote:
>
> >   looks like this one uses glide2, why do I have glide3 then? what's the
> > deal?
>
> simple.
>
> 3dfx cards support GLIDE v3 under Xfree86 4.x
> 3dfx cards support GLIDE v2 under Xfree86 3.x
> 3dfx cards support OPENGL under Xfree86 4.x

  how do I make this work? I have tdfx module (loade), libglide3 and
libglide3-dev (like debian planet suggests), X output says that DRI is
used etc... yet I get the message:

jojda:/home/erik# atlantis
gd error (glide): Can't find or access Banshee/V3 board
fx Driver: ERROR no Voodoo1/2 Graphics or Voodoo Rush !

> virtually all games/apps that use glide use glide v2(i've yet to hear of one
> that uses glide 3)

  this is confusing - I thought they use mesa (or basically any openGL
lib) and mesa was in turn implemented to use glide, so if new mesa
supports glide3 then all the games run fine...

  for example heretic2 says:

GL_RENDERER: Mesa X11
GL_VERSION: 1.2 Mesa 3.1 beta
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_EXT_point...

  yet it runs so slowly that you don't measure fps but seconds per frame
(on pentium 1GH, 128MB RAM, 3dfx) - that's slow for even software
rendering!

  thanks for the response...

	erik