Re: Linux in the company

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Gregor Kaleta wrote:

> Does somebody use Linux professional in the company? If yes, which
> Distribution? Does Debian be used also in the professional area or is
> the first election RedHat Linux?

I have Debian running on every thing and have since 1.1, I think.
Occasionally I run Red Hat on one of our servers because that is
the blessed distribution of a software vendor and I check if
the application's bugs might be resolved by having the "right" libraries.

Red Hat is much more appropriate for a PC that is outside of IT's
domain.  It is easy to set up with RH's defaults.

Debian is marginally more difficult to install.  The difficulty is
knowing what services/packages you want installed.  Debian is
much more attuned to the Unix geek, redhat adds many bits of
indirection which will trip up a unix geek.  (Such as overwriting
/etc/hostname on reboot, etc., double layers of compression on
drivers on boot floppy set.)

If saving money by using older machines appeals, Debian is a better
bet.

rob                     Live the dream.