Re: apt-get update

> Consequently there never is anything to update these days. Is
> that right? Looks like security alerts and their fixes are not
> readily propagated to the stable distribution but parked in
> http://security.debian.org (Why?), so maybe there really was
> not much to update in the last two(?) month. But how can I be
> sure (short of checking 4468 packages by hand)?

Do you have this line

deb http://security.debian.org/ potato/updates main contrib non-free

in your /etc/apt/sources.list ?? That will get you security updates.

As for there not being updates anymore, since your distro is considered
"stable", hence the name, there will be few to no updates made for it.
Security-related issues will be handled through the above line. If you
want new(er) packages, you'd need to point to "testing" or "unstable".

Regards
Hall