RE: Linux in the company

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Dave Whiteley wrote:

>We are a University department rather than a company, but I have no
>reservations about recommending Debian. Some of my collegues use Red
>Hat for their personal work, (for their own good reasons), but I seem
>to encounter less problems than they do.

ATM it'd be stupid to recommend Red Hat for a large firm unless they had
an existing maintenance contract.  Red Hat has recently announced plans to
allow only one machine per entity free use of up2date, Red Hat's weak
impersonation of apt.  One machine just isn't enough to make a proof of
concept in a firm of more than about 50 people, and the whole point of
using a distribution is ease of upgrade.

>Dave
>

>On 26-Mar-2001 Gregor Kaleta wrote:
>> Does somebody use Linux professional in the company? If yes, which
>> Distribution? Does Debian be used also in the professional area or
>> is
>> the first election RedHat Linux?
>>

>> --
>>

>----------------------------------
>E-Mail: Dave Whiteley <d.l.whiteley@ee.leeds.ac.uk>
>Date: 26-Mar-2001
>Time: 15:54:48
>Phone: 0113 233 2059
>
>Missing .sig   (I am trying to give them up.)

- --
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare
would be produced.   Now, thanks to Usenet, we know this is not true.