weird apt-dpkg-X4 behaviour

Hello list!

I recently had a crash which caused slight data corruption, including the
tragic loss of /etc/X11/rgb.txt (provided by xfree86-common)

I had updated to version 4.0.2-7 of xfree86-common when someone from
debian-french told me there might be something wrong with
/etc/X11/rgb.txt
Indeed it was missing ! (and /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt was a broken symlink)

I did apt-get install --reinstall xfree86-common , I tried dpkg -i
xfree86-common. It work OK, but still no /etc/X11/rgb.txt.
I removed the broken symlink (/usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt) and tried again.
The bloody symlink was restored but *not* the original file !!
Then I extracted the whole package to a temp dir and  I was finally able
to copy rgb.txt to /etc/X11.

I'd like somebody to please explain why --reinstalling didn't re-create
/etc/X11/rgb.txt. Is it a bug ?

TIA,
[a much relieved but a bit upset] Romain

--
Ain't no right way to do a wrong thing.
		-- The Mad Dogtender