RE: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

There are several things you can try.

1. Try to lower the core voltage. If it's underclocked the CPU might run stable with lower core voltage. This saves a lot of heat because power is proportional to voltage squared.

2. I was amazed how silent a fan is when I hold it in the hand. When it's mounted to the heatsink most of the noise seems to come from vibrations passed to the heatsink and board. I put some rubber between the fan and the heatsink in one machine and it made a difference.

3. With a fan at a lower speed you might still get enough cooling, but without too much noise. Put a resistor before the fan. I have a P2 350@350 running with less than half the fan speed for a year now without any problems.

4. Watercooling. There seem to be a few reliable watercooling blocks availabele ot there. I build my own for one machine. The pump is almost inaudible.

I don't know if your CPU or bord have a built in thermometer. I know that Athlons (and probably any other silicon chips) are allowed 90 C surface temperature.

Robert