Re: Serial port problems

Michael Dickey wrote:
> eth0: Xircom Cardbus Adapter (DEC 21143 compatible mode) rev 3 at 0xa00,
> 00:10:A4:E6:B8:2E, IRQ 3.
> eth0:  MII transceiver #0 config 3100 status 7809 advertising 01e1.
> serial_attach(bus 35, fn 1)
> tty00 at 0x0a80 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Does it work if you don't have your Xircom card inserted?

> eth0: Promiscuous mode enabled.
> device eth0 entered promiscuous mode

This worries me. Why is your network card going into promiscuous mode?

> Based on what is up at the top of all that, it seems that the settings are
> right. (I assume that the serial info at the bottom is my Xircom
> ethernet/modem card). I am confused, however, by the results when I run "cat
> /proc/tty/driver/serial":
>
> $ cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
> serinfo:1.0 driver:4.27
> 0: uart:16550A port:A80 irq:3 baud:9600 tx:0 rx:0 CTS|DSR

These are the same settings as reflected in the "tty00" line above - irq
3 and io 0xa80.

> 1: uart:unknown port:2F8 irq:3
> 2: uart:unknown port:3E8 irq:4
> 3: uart:unknown port:2E8 irq:3
> 4: uart:unknown port:3220 irq:3
> 5: uart:unknown port:3228 irq:3
> 6: uart:unknown port:4220 irq:3
> 7: uart:unknown port:4228 irq:3
> 8: uart:unknown port:5220 irq:3
> 9: uart:unknown port:5228 irq:3
>
> I don't see anything at 3F8, and irq 4 seems to be assigned to something else
> entirely!

I think /proc/tty/driver/serial is just reporting standard io/irq's for
those serial ports - doesn't mean that irq 4 is actually used. Do 'cat
/proc/interrupts' to check irq 4.

Maybe setserial can be used to fix this, I'm not really sure. Also, you
could try changing your com port to 'com2' in the bios (ie. io=0x2f8,
irq=3, /dev/ttyS01), assuming that irq 3 isn't already used.

Matthew