Re: Where to put an xmodmap script

on Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 05:06:21PM +0100, Paul J Collins (sneakums@zork.net) wrote:

>     BN> Then when I try to login, I get dumped out, presumably because
>     BN> .xsession doesn't end with a line like
>
>     BN> 	exec wmaker &
>
> You need to remove the ampersand, i.e. leave wmaker in the foreground
> so that the shell executing your .xsession/.xinitrc doesn't exit.

To expand on this, the .xinitrc script is what runs _as_ your X session.
When the script terminates, the session ends.  So, typically, the last
command in the script is an invocation of a window manager, as a
forground process.

'exec'ing this program is a traditional step.  This overlays the shell
running the .xinitrc with the windowmanager, the effect being that you
reduce your process table count by one -- you haven't forked the process
(creating a new one), you've replaced the shell with the command you
want to run.  This is considered more elegant, and may help preserve
resources on a multiuser system.