Re: Samba Password

* ktb (x.y.f@home.com) [010325 13:04]:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 12:29:16PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > * ktb (x.y.f@home.com) [010324 17:06]:
> > > Install Ptxt_on in W98 which can be found in the \tools\Mtsutil directory
> > > of th W98 cd.  This allows plain password passing.
> >
> > Samba can deal with encrypted passwords just fine, so why not let it ??
> > Otherwise, if you insist on using plain-text passwords, you'll have
> > to apply a "patch" to every Win95 (OSR2) and higher box, including
> > Win98/98SE, ME, and NT boxes. Enabling encrypted passwords with Samba
> > involves changing *one* setting on *one* box.
> >

> I'm assuming your talking about this section in /etc/samba/smb.conf -
>
> ; Passwords are encrypted by default. This way the latest Windows 95 and
> ;       clients can connect to the Samba server with no problems.
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>
> I uncommented the line above.  Restarted samba.  Installed Ptxt_off on
> my W98 box.  Restarted W98 and now samba is broke.  Is this the one
> setting you were talking about or was it another?

I'm not familiar with this Ptxt_off file, but will check it right now...

Okay, ptxt_off turns encrypted passwords back "on" or back to the
default. By uncommenting the line you referenced in your smb.conf file,
it *should* be working now ;-)

Leave Samba as is for now. Go back to the Win box and turn plain-text
passwords back on with the ptxt_on file. Reboot, then run the ptxt_off
file again (???).

Good luck
Hall

P.S. I have "encrypt password = on" in my smb.conf and did *nothing* to
the Windows boxes here at home. And it works...