Network configuration

Hi.  I wonder if anybody has any advice on network configuration,
because I can't get eth1 to pass any traffic out of my router box.

I've got box1's eth0 connected to my dsl line through the dsl
modem/router and it picks up the ip, etc. through dhcpcd.  This card is
connected to the internet fine.

I've got box1's eth1 connected to jack 1 of the hub, but the hub doesn't
show anything connected.  eth1 is a good card, and I can ping it at
192.168.1.1, but I've missed something about configuring it to send
traffic out to my hub and my network.

eth1 on box1 is configured as follows in /etc/network/interfaces (even
though I'm using dhcpcd on eth0, the external ip is always the same, so
I'm using static on eth1):

iface eth1 inet static
   address 192.168.1.1
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   network 192.168.1.0
   broadcast 192.168.1.255
   gateway <ext_ip_from_eth0>

Does anyone know what I should check now?

Thanks very much for any input.
Steve