Re: How do I make a debian boot cd

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:47:56 -0800 (PST)
Denzil Kelly <cyberonyx1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How do I go about burning a cd that will serve the
> same function of a boot floppy. I guess the question I
> really want answered is what files need to be added to
> a cd to to allow me to use it as a boot cd.

If you are asking for sort of a rescue disk on CD (which won't have
the troubles floppies have sometime) rather than a CD for a new
installation, you can just use your rescue floppy, dd it to your hard
disk and pass it to mkisofs as the boot image for the El Torito
extension. I did make such a CD which is essentially empty; just a few
tools which I use occasionally.

Though I didn't do it yet, I guess it should be possible to make a CD
also for installation of computers with a good net connection, putting
on it only the boot, root and driver floppies, but the boot floppy
would need to be adjusted to look for the root fs at the right
place. Beside for not losing time searching a working floppy, it would
also speeds up things quite a bit if you burn such a CD with speed 10
or better.

--
Christoph Simon
datageo@terra.com.br