Re: 'setxkbmap dvorak' not working

I use the XF86Config file to set dvorak mode with XFree86 3.3.  Here are the
relevant lines from the keyboard section in /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol    "Standard"
    AutoRepeat  500 30

    XkbModel    "pc102"
    XkbLayout   "dvorak"
    XkbKeymap   "xfree86(us)"
EndSection

If you want to switch back to qwerty on occasion (for example, someone needs
to do something briefly on your machine) you can try something like this in
your ~/.bashrc:

  function aoeu() { if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then setxkbmap -layout us; else loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us-latin1.kmap.gz; fi; }
  function asdf() { if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then setxkbmap -layout dvorak; else loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak.kmap.gz; fi; }

My initial thought was that 'setxkbmap' was failing because you didn't use
the -layout switch, but 'setxkbmap [dvorak|us]' works fine here.  Sorry I
can't be of more help.  I know that trying to hunt down keyboard problems in
X11 is a real pain.