'setxkbmap dvorak' not working

I run unstable;

I've seen a few debian-related docs which imply that 'setxkbmap dvorak' and
'setxkbmap us' should work, but both give me an 'Error loading new keyboard
description.'

A search for dvorak keymaps for x turns up one in the gnome-applets package,
and one in the kbd package, neither of which look like they'll make setxkbd
work. I'd like to use setxkbd rather than xmodmap and some file I dig up
somewhere, or at least know why I can't.

Is this an unstable-broken thing? (I didn't see any files that looked useful
in stable though). Anybody know how to set up dvorak 'properly' in debian?

- Adrian