Gnome panels disappeared after installing versions from testing/unstable. How do I manage this?

I installed the latest upgrades fron both testing & unstable (not a
production system) and there are 2 bits of wierdness that I have not
seen before. When I start up my system the sequence is to use gdm to
load enlightenment and gnome. When the desktop starts up it now has no
panels. Before the last update the panels would try to start then die
with a segfault. I filed a bug report and 2 days later a new version
appeared. But, Now the panels do not try to start. I tried putting "exec
gnome-session" in .xsession but the panels still did not start. Any
ideas?? Thanks!
--
We specialize in multi-processor computing systems!
John Foster