OpenSSH 2.5.2p2 grief

Hello everybody,
I am having some issues with openssh. I have two identical machines
with 2.2r2 installed. Both have openssl 0.9.6 installed in shared lib
mode.
The problem is as follows: I installed on both openssh 2.5.2p2 (via
tarball, bear with me, I can't stand packages). On one, it runs
without a hitch and has been doing so for about a month now. On the
second, all messages are identical to the first... but it fails to
auth with passwords, i.e. it rejects the correct passwords with a
Failed password <etc> in auth.log. I have been trying to figure out
what's wrong - at least what's different between the two
installations - for about two days now and can't find any reason for
the different behaviour. Any ideas/suggestions would be much
appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
Luigi Fabio - lfabio@ve.nettuno.it