Re: Problem reading Windows CDR

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 06:53:38PM -0800, Alexander Poquet wrote:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> > I have a rather large collection of MP3s that I burned onto CDs
using my
> > step-brother's burner, which is on a Windows box.  I burned it on
using
> > the DirectCD system.  Anyway, I compiled Joliet extension support
into
> > my kernel and can mount the CDs fine; I get a directory listing, and
> > all seems to work okay.
>
> NOTE: Unless directed to "Make CD readable by most other CD-ROMs" or
> some such, DirectCD writes using "CDFS" and doesn't write some other
> necessary info for ISO9660/Joliet conformance.  If I understand
> correctly, this "CDFS" is UFS??  This may not be the problem, since I
> wonder how Linux could mount the CD without the newer filesystem
support
> (maybe it looks close enough to iso9660 to fool the kernel?).  It's
> worth investigating though...  I know for a fact, if you don't do this
> with DirectCD, older Windows machines will not be able to read these
> CD's (not to mention Mac's).

It's actually "UDF", not "UFS". There is experimental support in the
kernel for reading drives like this. There's also a site on
sourceforge.net, who's name escapes me at the moment, with more
information on this.

You are correct about telling DirectCD to make the CD readable by other
drives... if you don't do that, many non-Windows users will have trouble
with the disc. I have Easy CD Creator and it installed DirectCD, but I
quickly removed it.

Regards
Hall