Re: Problem reading Windows CDR

Alexander Poquet wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I have a rather large collection of MP3s that I burned onto CDs using my
> step-brother's burner, which is on a Windows box.  I burned it on using
> the DirectCD system.  Anyway, I compiled Joliet extension support into
> my kernel and can mount the CDs fine; I get a directory listing, and
> all seems to work okay.
>
> However, I was unable to play the MP3s off the CD -- I presumed this was
> because I have an old computer whose CD read speed was simply too slow.
> So I decided to copy the file onto my drive.  Upon doing so, cp hangs
> for a long time as the CD sounds like it's 'trying' to read.  Eventually,
> I get "cp: reading 'Foo - Bar.mp3': Input/output error" on stderr.
>
> However, the cp was partially successful: a portion of the file does
> seem to transfer.  I know this isn't a problem with my drive because my
> Debian CD, which I burned on the same CD burner (albeit without the DirectCD
> stuff) reads quite correctly, even with large files (like tetex-base).
> Of course, that's ISO9660 + rockridge instead of joliet extensions.  I
> can get small text files and such off of the CD.  The partially cp'd mp3
> is not corrupted in any way, it's just not complete.
>
> I know it isn't the CD, because I can read them properly with my roomate's
> Windows computer.

it is the CD. or the drive take your pick. ive been burning cds for about 6
years now and i CONSTNANTLY see that problem. no matter what the cdr brand
(from plextor to sony to matshita etc), to cdr media brand(tried about a
dozen different brands). and ive tried about 6 different cd-r drives
and in at least 3 different operating systems on probably a dozen different
computers. it happens accross all of them. some more some less. especially
on large files. and of course ive tried about 8 different cd-r programs.

CDROMs just dont play well with CDR media. some of the older drives do
(~8X ide) some drives are better then others but on the dozens of cdroms
ive used all of them have the problem to some extent. CDR/CDRW drives
have the best chances of reading a CDR/CDRW CD media. now on small
files like MP3s i don't see it happen as often, mostly on large
100MB+ files(almost gauranteed if its 200MB+ on any drive).

after all the variables i have changed my conclusion is that cdr
media just doesn't work in some cdroms. maybe its the lasers in
the drives themselves..maybe its the vibration/rpms ..who knows.

i've just come to accept it and not use CDR for certain kinds of
backup, or make smaller files.

nate

--
:::