Re: coexistence with Windows 2000

Casper, et. al.:

Sorry I got distracted from this thread.

If I am understanding this lilo.conf properly, I have a question and would appreciate comments on my rough plan to install, to see if I am missing something or if it should work. TIA for the help.

(1) When the lilo.conf points to /dev/hda1 , and when I select this Windows boot from the set of boot choices, does it then invoke automatically the boot.ini found in my c root drive? Does it know what to invoke in order to bring up the Windows software? Do I still get the choices to bring it up in safe mode, etc.?

(2) My tentative plan for adding in Debian.
   current partitioning of Windows 2000
   a. harddisk C: 2G NTFS w Windows 2000 installed here
               D: 2G FAT32
   b. use FIPS to get windows 2000 out of the end of the C drive
   c. repartition C: drive
      I want to get C:  ~ 1G w/ windows 2000
                    swap: 500 Meg
                    linux root: remainder ~ 1G
   d. install Debian
   e. edit lilo.conf to make sure it points an option to my windows
        partition.
   f. run lilo.
   g. reboot.

The only thing that gives me pause on this plan is Dieter's comment that he is running both Potato & Windows, but that he "had" to install Debian first and doesnt know how to alter the installation sequence. If there is no way to do this, then I will have to reinstall windows 2000, I guess. Any comments?

Regards,

Darryl