dselect/dpkg-perl problem: method "value" cannot be located

Folks,

I have troubles with dselect/dpkg since I started an update of my Linux
Box running Debian woody.  This problem can be focused to the
post-installation --configure process:
dpkg complains:
"Can't locate object method "value" via package "Debconf::Question" at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Config.pm line 76"

This occurred for the first time dselect wanted to upgrade debconf --
now I cannot configure anything anymore that relies on that... e.g.
xserver-common.

Has anyone made any similar experiences -- and could give me hints how
to solve that problem ?  Even a hint to a FAQ would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Lukas

--
Lukas Ruf                        Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Office: ETZ-G61.2                             Computer Engineering and