Re: Problem reading Windows CDR

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:20:15PM +1100, Matthew Dalton wrote:
> How slow?

I'm actually not sure, because I didn't buy the computer.  Is there
some way to tell how fast Debian thinks it is?  But 2x, maybe 4x at
most would be my guess.

> I used to have problems reading some (not all) CD-Rs with my old 2x
> cdrom. The problem was just that the drive was not designed to read
> those CDs -- it was just too old. I suspect that the varying amounts of
> success I had (ie some CDRs worked, others didn't) was due to the dye
> types used in the different CDRs. I never worked out which dyes were
> better than others. Now I have a cdrom that reads everything (including
> CDRWs) so there's no problem.

Well, as it happens, the CDR that works (the Debian one) and the CDRs
that don't (the MP3 M$ formatted ones) are the same dye type -- in fact,
they are from the same box.

Also, the fact that I can get varying amounts of data off the CD seems
to further discredit this theory.  Why should I be able to read some of
it, and not other parts?

Of course, I know next to nothing about CDs, CDRs, and the like...

--
Alexander Poquet                | We leave the obvious generalizations to the
atpoquet@ucdavis.edu            | reader.                  -- Israel Herstein