Re: Font point sizes and X resolutions?

On Wed Mar 21 22:13:32 2001 Richard C. Cobbe wrote...

>Lo, on Wednesday, March 21, Stan Brown did write:
>
>[reformatted for 80 cols]
>
>> How can I set up X properly so that the fonts are displayed in the proper
>> (eg 1/72 inch per point) size?
>
>Can't do 72dpi, but you can do 75dpi, which is close enough.  Take a look
>at your font path (in /etc/X11/XF86Config by default on potato; this may
>well be different for woody/sid).  Make sure the 75dpi entries precede the
>100dpi entries, then restart X.

	Maybe I did not make my question clear, or perhaps I'm just to dumb to
	understand the answer.

	Let me elaborate. As I increase the resolutin (more pixels) on the screen, the
	font's just get smaller. I don't think this is the way it should work. I
	suspect I have something configured wrong. At one point in time, during the
	install I was asked what size monitor I had, I answered 17". Well now I have a
	19" atached to this system. How do I tell X what the dimensions of the screen
	are, so that it can display say a 12 point font as something aproaching a real
	12 point typeface, instead of some unreadably small size?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.